Thursday 27 September 2012

Circular Narrative Initial Proposal


Proposal
Ben Stokes
Circular Narrative Brief



For my new assignment I have been given a photograph that I will need to go and produce a story based on a circular narrative using the photograph I was given as the beginning and ending image.
A circular narrative is one that finishes where it began, the whole plot of the story creating a circular motion back to the start.
I have been given a photograph of a leaf stuck to a window with droplets of water, which at first glance seemed quite a hard photograph to make a circular narrative story out of.
I intend to create a set of 6-8 images that show a seamlessly looping story, which embrace the circular narrative well and puts across the plot effectively to the target audience. My target audience will be fine art based due to the different views and ways of thinking which will be prominent in my set of images, focusing on people aged from late teenagers to mature adults. My set of photographs will hopefully appeal to such a wide target audience due to the fun yet challenging story line.
My idea is to create a story of what initially looks like just a photograph of a leaf stuck to a window but in fact as the story unfolds, through different viewpoints the photograph will be part of a much different story. The idea of trickery will be used in a tactical way to make the audience think about the set of photographs as they are read and as a whole.


My main inspiration is from Duane Michals whose photographic stories use trickery; very similar to that I am going to produce. The thing that drew me to his work is that through different perspectives he creates a whole different story line which switches and changes in each photograph but still circulates round to his original image.
I have produced a storyboard of how I want the images to look and have started to take initial photographs in order to gather more ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment